Angel’s Envy Bourbon and Angel's Envy Rye

Angel’s Envy gives us quite a twist on bourbon whiskey. In the early 2000s the late master distiller Lincoln Henderson, who spent many years as a HOFer at Woodford Reserve, decided to branch away from classic bourbon making. In an effort to blend tradition with something new, he distilled and aged quality bourbon then finished it in port wine barrels. After much success, they decided to try a hand at producing rye whiskey finished in Caribbean rum casks.

The Angel’s Envy name is one of our favorites. It’s fairly common bourbon knowledge that the portion of whiskey (about 5%) that evaporates during a lengthy aging process is called the “angel’s share.” Lincoln decided the angels would be quite envious of us to receive the remaining 95% left in the barrels. Add that clever naming to the distinct bottle shape and the large angel wings on the back of the bottle, you’ve got a very well-marketed whiskey!

Let’s have a couple reviews..

Angel’s Envy Kentucky Straight Bourbon Finished in Port Wine Barrels

Louisville Distilling Company
86.6 proof
$45 at Frugal MacDoogal in Fort Mill, SC

Batch No. 206
Bottle No. 897

Color: Marigold

Nose: Sweet and fruity. Vanilla, honey, and a strong plum presence.

Tasting notes: An odd, strong green apple flavor up front. Sweet marmalade, oak, and nuts take over, giving way to a lingering, woody spice.

Overall: C+. A very int
eresting whiskey but the sweet fruity flavor is a bit overbearing. It's as if someone dropped some apple juice into your bourbon.

Onto the next...

Angel’s Envy Rye Finished in Caribbean Rum Casks

Louisville Distilling Company
100 proof
$70 at Frugal MacDoogal in Fort Mill, SC

Batch No. 22
Bottle No. 715

Color: Marigold– but the tiniest bit lighter than the bourbon

Nose: First thought: “what the hell?” This whiskey has a truly unique nose, something we’ve never experienced. A lot of toasted coconut and island rum. Also some earthy tobacco and rye characteristics.

Tasting notes: Again, a lot of coconut and rum. A confusing, cough syrupy menthol presence that seems to cancel out the rye flavor. Tastes of concentrate juice.

Overall: C. Extremely unique and therefore very interesting. The rum cask finish really takes control of this whiskey. We found very little rye and too much sweet beach.

Though we we aren't big fans of either whiskey, in a culture with such a strong emphasis on tradition, it’s refreshing to see a pioneer brand like Angel's Envy step outside the box a little.

Peer reviews: